Churn Dash Quilt Block Tutorial

IF you’ve found yourself with extra time on your hands and want to learn something new, I’ve got a few options for you including this Churn Dash quilt block tutorial!

This week Riley Blake announced a fun, super simple little quilt along – the Riley Blake Block Challenge. Each week Riley Blake will be sharing a classic quilt block and each week a Riley Blake Designer will share quick tutorial how to make that block in two different sizes: 6″ and 12″. At the end of this challenge I’m going to put all of my blocks together into a picnic quilt for summer!

Churn Dash Quilt Block Tutorial

Churn Dash Quilt Block tutorial featuring Sugarhouse Park Fabrics

This block is a really quick one to assemble with some simple short-cut techniques. I’ve got the fabric requirements and measurements available for 6″ x 6″ blocks and 12″ x 12″ blocks.

I am using Sugarhouse Park fabric for all of my blocks.

6″ x 6″ Finished Block instructions

Fabric Requirements for 6 inch churn dash quilt block

Fabric requirements:

Background (white) fabric:

• 1 square 2.5″ x 2.5″
  • 2 squares 3″ x 3″
  • 1 strip 1.5″ x 10″

Contrast color (red) fabric:

• 2 squares 3″ x 3″
  • 1 strip 1.5″ x 10.5″

Sew the two 1.5″ strips side by side next to each other (be sure to use a scant 1/4″ seam – especially on smaller blocks). Press seam to the darker print.

Match up 2 sets of 3″ x 3″ squares (a red and a white square) right sides together. Draw a diagonal line on the back of the white (background) square and sew two 1/4″ seams on both sides of diagonal line. Then cut squares in half on the diagonal line to create 4 Half Square Triangle (HST) blocks.

Carefully cut strip set into 4 units 2.5″  wide.

Square up 4 HST blocks to 2.5″ x 2.5″. (This is my favorite method for making and squaring up Half Square Triangle blocks.)

Layout 2.5″ x 2.5″ units in three rows. Assemble rows and then sew the rows together.

Block will measure 6.5″ x 6.5″ unfinished.

12″ x 12″ Finished Churn Dash Quilt Block Instructions

Fabric requirements:

Background (white) fabric:

• 1 square 4.5″ x 4.5″
  • 2 squares 5″ x 5″
  • 1 strip 2.5″ x 19″

Contrast color (navy) fabric:

• 2 squares 5″ x 5 “
  • 1 strip 2.5″ x 19″

Repeat same assembly process as above. Sew two 2.5″ strips together side by side. Match up two sets of a background and contrast 5″ x 5″ fabric right sides together. Draw diagonal line and sew two 1/4″ seams along each side. Cut in half on diagonal line.

Cut strip set into 4 squares 4.5″ x 4.5″.

Square up Half Square Triangle blocks to 4.5″ x 4.5″.

Layout blocks in three rows and sew together.

And there you go! A super simple tutorial for one of my favorite quilt blocks.

Churn Dash Quilt Block tutorial available in 6 inch and 12 inch sizes

Here are a few variations of Churn Dash quilts I’ve made. They’re really fun – and now I’m in the mood to make another one!

You can find the pattern for this quilt here.

And it’s got a great short-cut method where you can make two blocks at once!

Each week there will be a new classic quilt block tutorial. I’ll be sharing my blocks along with the links to the tutorials. Have fun!

Susan
    April 1, 2020 at 9:18 pm

I love your churn dash quilts! The red one really speaks to me!!

Julie Holleran
    April 2, 2020 at 5:59 am

thanks so much for the double tutorial..I’ve never made a churn dash (I know, unbelievable right?) will give the 6″ one a try…stay safe ~ ~ ~ ~ waving from me to you in thanks Julierose;)))

Linda
    April 2, 2020 at 6:50 am

Thank you for this tutorial to keep us uplifted during these challenging times. I really appreciate your blog posts and all your great ideas!

Kristi
    April 2, 2020 at 8:05 am

Sometimes the difficulty I have with a quilt-along is choosing fabrics from my stash to use. I love the red scrappy Churn Dash quilt – just pick a red fabric and a white fabric and I’m good to go. Thank you. This is will be fun to stitch.

Amy
      April 2, 2020 at 2:21 pm

Right?! You can never go wrong with a classic red and white combo!

In The Sewing Basket
    April 2, 2020 at 8:20 am

LOVE the Churn Dash….I have yet to make one though!! MY BAD!!! it is on my soon to do list…..I am making masks right now…for the nurses where my Hub also works as a nurse….PPE are low in supply….rural hospital…..I found instructions for putting a hepa filter inside a mask that even uses a paper clip for the top of mask by the nose…..do I have enough fabric?……yes, I think I won that award!!!……Bless you days and your families health…..I am on Chemo….so we have a double jeopardy in our home…..YES, I do have a N95 mask but my Hub does not…..Ok, back to “masking it”…..Karen

Amy
      April 2, 2020 at 2:22 pm

Bless you, Karen! Both for your efforts to help and for doing it while you’re dealing with chemo! Sending love and best wishes your way!

Dottie
      April 4, 2020 at 5:51 pm

You are such a good person. Hope your hubby and you come thru this with flying colors. Thank him for being on the frontlines at his own risk. Such a compassionate thing to do.

Linda
    April 2, 2020 at 9:57 am

Thank you for the tutorial on a favorite block. Think I will do the Riley Blake Block Challenge. And thanks for a great video class on precuts!!

Mila Gonzalez
    April 2, 2020 at 3:52 pm

ny Daughter is a single parent and her only daughter has gone away to college. To fill in her “home alone “ time has, she has started to visit me regularly to learn to quilt. She is off to a good start on a used sewing machine with no special perks. Needle up/ needle down is unknown to her. She has completed 3 easy quilts. I’m so proud of her. This machine would take her to the moon and back.

Emily
    April 2, 2020 at 4:14 pm

That sounds like a fun Challenge. Thanks for the tutorial!

Gwyn
    April 2, 2020 at 4:59 pm

Squeee! I have wanted to do this with FQs to make 12 inch blocks! Thank you!! Be safe and well.

Ann Smith
    April 2, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for the great instructions. I made my first churn dash block and it’s adorable!

Robby H.
    April 4, 2020 at 7:43 am

Fantastic. A churn dash quilt has been on my list for a while. This may just be the thing to get me moving on it. Heaven knows I have time and fabric right now. Thanks for the post to remind me and the great tutorial! Be well.

Mary Ellen Bednar
    April 4, 2020 at 1:47 pm

I have never tried this before. Thank you for the instructions!! Stay safe and stay well!!!

Linda Theriault
    April 4, 2020 at 6:05 pm

Your instructions are easy to follow, I will have to make one! Now just have to pick my colors!

Beverly Ondarcho
    April 4, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Wow could I use a new Babylock sewing machine. I presently hand quilt and sew on a 1938 Featherweight Singer machine. I had it serviced last year and was told I willing need a new motor soon. Yikes ! I truly would love the light weight, and oh my all those quilt stitches I could have so much fun with! Good luck everyone! Just think of all the face masks I could make and design!!!!!!!

Sue H
    April 5, 2020 at 6:29 am

I can’t find any more information on the Riley Blake block quilt along, other than your post. Can you help with a link?

Karen Gardner
    April 5, 2020 at 7:28 am

I would like to win this because I have never had a new sewing machine. I use some vintage machines, but I would love to sew with a modern machine with a variety of stitches.

Susan Greene
    April 5, 2020 at 8:30 am

My favorite traditional block! Set on point it has even more appeal and is not readily recognizable as a Churn Dash.

Cathy Brannen
    April 5, 2020 at 11:08 am

Thank you for another great tutorial. Your instructions are so easy to follow.

Jenni
    April 7, 2020 at 12:08 pm

Today I followed your churn dash pattern. It is perfect! I like that there is only a small bit to trim, no fabric waste, I love how everything lined up perfectly. I’ve only used one of your patterns previously but I am now a fan girl! Thank you!

Amy
      April 8, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Yay! Thanks Jenni!

Johnnie Ragsdale
    April 10, 2020 at 6:28 pm

How do I find the pattern to print. .

Amy
      April 11, 2020 at 11:40 am

I don’t have a printable version yet – I will work on making a printable version this week!

Cathy Koger
    April 12, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Are you going to put the 6 inch and 12 inch blocks in the same quilt?

Amy
      April 12, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Yes. 🙂 I’m going to mix both sizes.

Margaret Wells
    April 22, 2020 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. easy to follow.

Cheryl Baker
    May 3, 2020 at 4:02 pm

Amy, I’m really into mini patterns right now. My sis loves the churn dash pattern and I thought I could (?) make a mini churn dash wall hanging for her B/D. Being a fairly new quilter I can’ t figure out what size fabric blocks etc. I would need to produce this.

Marsha Gibbons
    May 14, 2020 at 8:25 pm

I am late to the party and just starting the challenge. I finished both sizes of the churn dash quilt block today. It turned out pretty good. Will you be telling us how we can put them all together to make a picnic quilt? Thank you for your fabulous tutorials.

Amy
      May 15, 2020 at 3:40 pm

Awesome, and you’re welcome! Yes, once I get all of the blocks done, I’ll be putting together a finished quilt later in June.

Bonnie
    May 16, 2020 at 5:43 pm

Hi Amy, thanks for posting this fun quilt along! I’m a new quilter and have a question…when you give sizes of pieces for the block, should I automatically add a1/2” for seam allowances?

Amy
      May 16, 2020 at 6:44 pm

Great question.

No, you don’t need to add any seam allowance. It’s already built in to the cutting directions. 🙂

Bonnie
    May 17, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Are we supposed to add 1/4” seam allowance onto all the pieces for the block when cutting them?

Amy
      May 17, 2020 at 9:16 pm

No. The seam allowance is already built into the cutting instructions. 🙂